Tuesday, December 14, 2010

What's in Your Freezer?

 

And as I type the title for this post, I mean for you to read it like the Capital One commercial, "What's in your wallet?". Makes it that much more fun.

OK, so really...do you know all the items in your freezer? Can you get to them without taking out half the freezer? If you answered 'no' to either of those questions, keep reading:

1. Storage containers. For those of you who have read multiple posts on this blog, you know I'm in love with storage containers. Clear plastic are my favorite. No, they don't make my house look like Martha Stewart's. But, that's not my goal in organization. Simplicity is. So, take some measurements of the inside of your freezer.

2. Shop. Before you shop at the store, shop around your house. I had some bins around my house where I didn't need to lid....I put the lid in my freezer to create my "veggie" space. So, go around your house and gather bins and lids that aren't being used. If you don't have any, go to the store and buy some containers you think may work for you. For reference, I have 1 big plastic lid and 1 shallow plastic bin. That's all I needed. But, get more if you want all the food to be in bins.

3. Make a list. You have to have about an hour of time to do this. Pull out everything in your freezer. Write down what's in it and how much of it you have.

4. Put back. First put in the storage containers and/or lids in the spaces that you may need them. Then start adding the food! This may be easily done...but don't get discouraged if it's not. It may take some trial and error to figure out what foods fit where and what makes the most sense for your home and freezer.

5. Read tomorrow's blog post. I have a great system for KEEPING the freezer organized...not just for getting it there. I'll write about that tomorrow!

TIP: If you have a second freezer, do most of your storage in that one so your primary one is not out of control cluttered. I happen to have another freezer, which is why I don't have a ton of food in the picture above. If you only have one freezer...bummer. Just be sure to keep things in there that you use on a regular basis. It might be nice to have frozen cranberries on hand, but if you only use them once a year, don't have them in your freezer taking up precious space.

No comments:

Post a Comment