Welcome Spring! It's so good to see you! With spring, comes...spring cleaning (Please don't stop reading here!).
There are good ways to "spring clean" and there are bad ways. Here are some tips that will help you clean and organize your home:
- Deep clean only. Lots of people feel the need to do their regular chores that they do every day or week as a part of their spring cleaning. RESIST the urge! Just plan on doing your deep cleaning...things you don't do on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Plan on organizing as being the number one thing that "spring cleaning" means. Most people think of cleaning blinds, washing drapes, dusting ceiling fans, etc. And yes, spring cleaning includes those. But, if you only do those things, your home will still feel like it needs a spring cleaning after you've done the spring cleaning. Make sure to tackle the decluttering and organizing before you get out the cleaners and rags.
- Plan for spring cleaning to take 1-2 weeks. Yes, I know it sounds like a lot. And overwhelming. But, if you do one room (or half of a room) each day, you'll be able to get the whole house (and maybe the attic, garage, or basement) done.
- Don't be afraid of the trash can. Be picky with the items in your home. Are they practical? Do you use them? Do you think they are beautiful? Does it complicate or simplify your life? Throw away (donate, recycle, give away, etc) what you really don't need, like, or want.
- Don't overwhelm yourself. Keep your perspective as you go about spring cleaning: Is it really a big deal if you don't get your baseboards washed? No. It's not. Unless there is mold growing on them.
- Prioritize what's the most important to you...write it down! Make a list of everything that you want to organize, declutter, and clean. Number those things, so you can make sure to do what's most important to you. There are loads of already made checklists on the internet that you can search for, download, and make your own. Be sure to save it on your computer so next year this step is already done for you and all you have to do is tweak it. If your list feels too overwhelming...split it up. Create a "fall cleaning" list and a "spring cleaning" list. There's no rule that says it all has to be done in one season.
- For all you moms out there - Consider hiring some help if you have young kids (either with the kids or with the cleaning/organizing). Your money may be well spent if you can knock out your cleaning in half the time that it would take you with the kids in the house. Short on cash? Swap sitting with a friend. For those with older kids - GIVE THEM LOTS TO DO!! They need to know that they are a part of the family and are expected to help out around the house.
- Lastly - it's always more fun to spring clean with music on (loud), windows open, fresh flowers on a table, a fun drink or snack, and a cute outfit or apron on. So, get in the spring spirit and enjoy the tasks!