Thursday, September 13, 2012

Junk Drawer - If You Must

Full disclosure: I do not have a junk drawer. I don't believe in them. Everything should have a place. Batteries do not belong with sharpie markers. Rubber bands do not belong with matches. There should not be loose change in a drawer. 

However, most people disagree. Even great organizers have junk drawers. So, if you must have a junk drawer, the best way to do it is:
  • Keep it small. Don't have the largest drawer in the house be the junk drawer. Use a small one so it'll force you to actually put away the item in its proper spot. 
  • Use a utensil holder to organize things in junk drawer. There are all sizes and shapes of utensil holders these days. Buy one that fits your drawer, then you at least have compartments to use so things are easier to see and find. 
  • Consider having multiple. I know, I know. I just said don't have any. Now I tell you to have more than one. Here's what I mean. Have a "kitchen junk drawer" and maybe an "office junk drawer". No matches, toothpicks, or wine opener in the office drawer. No batteries, stamps, paper clips or sewing kits in the kitchen drawer. 
  • Maintain it. Like I've said many times before on this blog, 80% of organization is maintenance. So go through your junk drawer once in a while and toss what you don't need, put away things that have another spot, etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment